Monday, October 15, 2012

Bye bye chest tubes, hello oxygen

We started the day with a major plus in getting both chest tubes out today. Woo hoo!! Stay away drainage.

But we also went back on oxygen last night because Caelen was working too hard to breathe. He's only on 1 liter of o2, and he probably doesn't need that much, but until his lungs dry out and he can fully inflate them with deep breaths, I don't want him to struggle. So oxygen it is for right now.

The docs want Caelen up and out of bed as much as he can now that the chest tubes are out, and we took 2 rides today in the wagon, and 2 walks in the halls. The only thing that's really going to help the lungs now is to get up and get moving. So each day we are hoping that Caelen will get a little stronger so we can stay out of bed longer.

And on a mixed note, our new friends The Millers, started their drive back to Alabama today. I say mixed because I am so excited that they are finally going home for the first time in 2 months, but I'm sad because I really enjoyed spending time with their beautiful family and getting to know each of them. Their 2 daughters gave me many a good laughs and big smiles which were always exactly what I needed. Not to mention giant chokeholds from Carys. I am sad to see my new friends go, but I am overjoyed for this new time for them together on the "outside." Please pray that they have safe travels back to Alabama, and that their time between the 1st surgery and the Glenn in a few months is healthy and uneventful.

Thank you all again for the wonderful messages of support and prayers. Thanks for helping me see the sunny side when I sometimes can't. And thanks to all who send care packages and love.

Katye

1 comment:

  1. Great update, we are praying for his lungs to get stronger! Thank you for the warm words for my sister and her family - I miss them already but am THRILLED they get to go home! We'll keep praying for you all to be able to go home soon too! ~Auntie G

    ReplyDelete