Monday, January 14, 2013

Damn you plastic bronchitis

Caelen still has pneumonia, but you'd never know it by watching him run around the house. He's had it for almost a month now and it seems to be getting better. But he keeps coughing up these mucus plugs, which are kind of gross. I've called CHOP on separate occasions and shared the pictures I took of the gross things. Both times the Dr's (who we've never met) felt that the mucus didn't look infected and it's nothing serious. However, the Dr from Friday suggested we call our main cardiologist today to discuss.

Dr Rychik, our Dr, called me tonight after reviewing the image and said its plastic bronchitis again. Caelen is coughing up casts!!! I'm so bummed. I've mentioned this each time I've talked to a Dr and even brought one with me to the ER last week. No one was concerned. Actually, I'm kinda pissed. Would it have changed anything if the docs had diagnosed it earlier, like 2 weeks ago? Probably not, but I would have known what to keep an eye out for.

The plan for now is to keep a log to document how often he's coughing these casts up. If it becomes daily, or his breathing worsens, then we need to readmit to CHOP for several days for treatment.

Ugh, why in the hell is this back? This is what led to the fontan takedown. So it shouldn't still happen. But I guess once you get it, it can reappear at any time. Perhaps the pneumonia stirred it up?

The good news is that Caelen's sats are good and his breathing is fine and he doesn't have a fever. He's happy and playing well too. So I guess I'll just be watching him even more like a hawk. But I fear that CHOP is in our future.

On that note, time for Caelen to get ready for bed. Please keep him in your prayers that the plastic bronchitis doesn't get worse.

Love,
Katye

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you guys. No hospitals please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for Caelen and that he can get rid of this plastic bronchitis once and for all! Dr. Rychik is our doc too. Glad to read that Caelen seems comfortable despite the illness.

    Heidi & Austin Schlagheck

    ReplyDelete