Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Home?!?

Could it be a reality? Looks that way my friends!!! The plan is for discharge sometime Thursday. As excited as I am, I'm still a little apprehensive because I know how things and opinions can change quickly in the hospital, but still, I think we may actually get out of here. There isn't anything else our cardiologist can do for us right now. Caelen needs to get bigger and stronger and in a few years (hopefully), we'll try this again.

I spent tonight packing up and cleaning my room at the Ronald McDonald House and it's so surreal. Seeing the new friends that I've come to know over the last 2 plus months, and realizing that our journey is coming to an end (for now), and theirs continues, is bittersweet. It's like a family here. You share in each other joys and heartaches. You celebrate with them and you cry with them. Being more experienced this go round has allowed me to "foster" parents new to the hospital experience, whether it was intentional or not. I think it helped me to get through this as much as it did them. And in return, my heart expanded.

These last 2 plus months were not what I expected. Never in a million years could I have envisioned what exactly occurred. Caelen came closer to the brink of death than I think is possible, and survived. Not only that, he recovered. Then he developed a deadly bronchitis faster than anyone has ever seen before. He had his Fontan reversed, only to flourish and then drop his sats. But even with the lower oxygenation, he is amazing. He is beautiful. He is smart, and funny, and witty. Caelen is perfectly imperfect and I wouldn't have it any other way. He is my angel on earth and I am lucky to have him.

And I am lucky to have all of you. All that have prayed for Caelen, sent messages, care packages, letters, emails, texts and love. Whether or not you believe in God, I hope that Caelen has helped restore your faith and belief in miracles.

Our journey isn't over, but for now, as the docs say, it's time for a break. Thank you all again for getting us here. Without every single one of you that prayed for us, I don't know what the outcome would have been. Especially my prayer warriors, you know who you are.

Lastly, If anyone is looking to make a donation this holiday season, one that has direct impact, please consider making a donation to the Ronald McDonald House of Philadelphia, or any Ronald McDonald house. I don't know what I would have done without this amazing home. And I believe that donations are tax deductible.

I'll post again once we actually get discharged.

With much love ,
Katye

4 comments:

  1. So exciting! Praying that the next few days goes smoothly and CHOP will be a vision in your rear-view mirror soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you'll soon be home! My prayers continue, and I hope Christmas will be an absolutely joyful time in your home - may God's blessings continue. Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This news brings such joy to our hearts. You are soo blessed to have such a special Child of God!! Merry Christmas from Texas.The Lanier Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we all believe in mircles!!! Have a blessed holiday season.

    ReplyDelete