Friday, June 21, 2013

Back from sternum procedure

Caelen's sternum wire procedure went quickly and smoothly. As usual, he took a lot of ketamine and midazolam to go down, so he was very groggy and stoned when he woke up, and has remained that way now for about 2 hours. His first very slurred words when he woke up were, "I wanna go on a wagon ride."  

Dr Fuller was able to make a tiny incision in his sternum and pull the wire out, leaving just 1 stitch inside, and a steri-strip on the outside. No follow up is needed. 

The results of his ultrasound are not available yet, but I'm assuming that we will remain on the lovenox (blood thinner) for the time being. It would be awesome if the blood clots have resolved by now and we could stop the injections, but I don't want to get my hopes up.  

Caelen's breathing is much better, and thats the whole reason we came here to begin with. So the hope is that we could be discharged tomorrow afternoon. Of course we won't know that until tomorrow morning, but that's a good goal too. 

I'm exhausted, so I'm signing off. As always, thanks for your prayers for Caelen :)

Love,
Katye

1 comment:

  1. So glad Caelen's breathing is better, and that he's ready to get back in his wagon. I will pray that tomorrow will bring more healing for Caelen. I hope you get some rest, Katye. God Bless.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete